Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day Eleven - Updates and Explanations

Yep - I missed posting yesterday. I’ll get to that in a minute. I’ve been doing pretty good on the food thing but not so hot on the exercise thing. I keep forgetting to log everything into my food diary, but it’s not a big deal. With everything that’s going on - it’s just tertiary at best.

For those who read this and don’t know what’s going on, I’ll lay it out. Last Friday, my grandfather took a pretty bad fall at home. When the dust settled, he’d broken 8 ribs, fractured his scapula, two vertebrae, his pelvis in two places, and his skull. Scary enough at any age let alone his. There were some moments where we weren’t sure he was going to make it. But, as I’ve said before, my Pap is a fighter. Today, he woke up more clear than I’ve seen him in a while - that old sparkle had returned to his eyes and he was joking with us. It’s very clear that he wants to go home so that’s what we’re going to do - with some help of course.

Tomorrow, my hubster is going to help rearrange some furniture so hospice can bring in the special bed and other equipment they’ll need to bring him home. Hopefully, Pap will be home tomorrow. I think, in the long run, that will be better for everyone. It will certainly be easier for me to take the kids to see him. Yes, the long term outlook isn’t necessarily rosy, but boy it was good to see Pap smiling and laughing today. It was even better to laugh with him. And I’ll tell you what - that man has better eyes than me. He was reading billboards from his hospital bed that, if I took off my glasses, I could barely see the smudge of red that was the letters.

So - it hasn’t been the best week for this whole get healthy plan of attack, but we all have weeks like that. And I know it’s getting better because I even refused the lemon meringue pie today and that’s my favorite - especially when I get to steal it from my uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment